Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Filled with the Spirit




"The first and most important need of our Christian life is fellowship with God... As every moment I need fresh air to breathe, and as the sun every moment sends down afresh its light, so it is only in direct, living communication with God that my soul can really be strong." ~Andrew Murray, "The Deeper Christian Life"


So, I have this sidebar thing on my computer called "Impact", basically while I'm connected to the Internet it will have a verse every day come up and if you click on it there is a discussion going on. It is a cool tool, something that should happen a lot more then in does (only in a personal, real-life situation). Through it I've come to realize that too few people know what it truly means to be "filled with the Holy Spirit" (as in Eph. 5:18, and many other places). Too many are "content" with (as Andrew Murray of old would say...) living the "low life, that is the life of mediocrity and hypocrisy. As Christ followers we are called to be "filled with the Holy Spirit" (Eph. 5:18)... The Holy Spirit cannot fill us if we allow our filthy sins to linger within us, no more then one would care to drink out of a cup sitting in a manure pile. First we must be purified by the Lord by coming before Him daily confessing and repenting (turning from) our sins and giving our all to Him. Then as we are washed again by the blood of the Lord, we ask and receive the filling and indwelling of the Spirit of God!

As far as what that filling is... Gal. 5 shows the fruit of the Spirit; the Holy Spirit as He dwells in our lives produces those things (Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control). We also experience a heightened sensitivity to God's desires in everyday life, a sensitivity to the "grey areas". As well, we can understand when we are to make a call; saying something to someone or do something. We better understand and have the heart and mind of the Lord within us leading, guiding and directing us along the right and true path.

Andrew Murray points out the Father's words to the elder brother in the parable of the Prodigal Son... "My Son... you are always with me and everything I have is yours." ~Lk. 15:31. Likewise, and by extension, the Lord says to each one of us, "My child, you are always with me and everything I have is yours... when are you going to grab a hold of my blessed promise?" This is not the only place in the Scripture where God brings this promise before us. See Ja. 4:8, "Come near to God and he will come near to you." or Jn. 14:13-14, "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." There is a powerful rich life out there for each believer let us throw off all that hinders and run for the prize, let us take hold of that life and dwell in the arms and care of the Lord Almighty!

"The true reason of the absence of God from us in rather found in our sin and unbelief, than in any supposed sovereignty of His. If the child of God is walking in faith and obedience, the divine presence will be enjoyed in unbroken continuity." ~Andrew Murray

What is keeping you from enjoying the wonderful presence of the Lord today?

1 comment:

Kristoph said...

Hey Paul. This is Adam Lever. I know that it has been a long time since we have been in contact. Just figured that I would say hi and that I enjoy reading what you have to write. Take care Paul and Happy Easter. My blog is http://loveandbliss.blogspot.com/ I just started, but yeah. Cya Paul.